Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Khichyu

BM # 35   Week 4   Day 1

For the last week of this marathon I shall be cooking Gujarati food.For today it is Khichyu which is served for breakfast. Khichyu is nothing but rice flour which is mixed with water , mildly spiced and cooked. It is then topped with some spicy masala and groundnut oil .The oil is drizzled quite lavishly, one surely can avoid it, but of course the taste with oil is any day better.

This is actually quite simple and is very light minus the oil. I love to treat myself to this wonderful Khichyu at least once a week for breakfast. No, I do not cook it myself , We have a street vendor with the name..... Maasi nu Khichyu . This guy has a van which is right outside the temple that my hubby visits every day. So while he is praying , I get it packed and wait to reach my work desk where I gorge on this piping hot Khichyu.

1 cup rice flour
1 green chilly , crushed
1 tsp cumin seed
Water
Salt to taste

Boil the water with the crushed green chilly and cumin seed.
Slowly add the rice flour, stirring continuously , so that no lumps are formed.
After you finish adding all the rice flour, it will become like a semi soft lump.
Remove from fire and serve.

This is how we get in the market, but there is another version of Khichyu which needs to cook further....
Continue from where we left..

Remove from fire and place it in a big bowl to cool.
Knead this as though you are kneading a dough.
Make balls out of it, making a thumb impression in the center.
Steam them for 5-10 minutes.

Garnish
Drizzle groundnut oil.
If you do not have ground nut oil, you could use any other oil.



This can also be served with curd and Garlic chutney.



Pics of the vendor selling Khichyu




Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Vaishali this I want. I am going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh never knew about this Vaishali...very nice to read about it..so basically we all get back to the same grain and do different things..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the color of that dish.
    It is interesting that Indian regional cuisines can be same and different at the same time. This recipe reminds me another south Indian dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds new to me,must be a delicious and comforting breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very new dish for me! Lovely recipe and that garlic sauce is too tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of it , but it looks tasty !

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a new dish to me...looks great

    ReplyDelete
  8. We make something similar but also add some fresh val beans to it. And yes, we too serve it with liberal amount of oil and some crushed green chilies. Khichyu is mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very interesting dish. Totally new to me. Looks simple to make and delicious.

    ReplyDelete